July 03, 2010
This is the first quilt I've completed in over a year and a half! The baby it was made for is nine months old. Whatever. I feel like a million bucks for having it completed.
This is another group quilt by our collective of intrepid quilters. Prior quilts are here, here and here. Like the other quilts, a theme was chosen: numbers. Each quilter chose a number to represent. Blocks were delivered to me along with scraps of the fabric used. I divided the scraps into four color groups to construct the borders. Prior coverage of the quilting in the borders is here.
I bordered each individual block in yellow. The quilt is bound in a fabric from the train block, it is the same stripey binding as I used in this quilt. Unlike prior group quilts, the layout of this one was predetermined, as the blocks were to go in numerical order. I can't believe how wonderfully that turned out, with some red in each corner, and two blue blocks and two green blocks balancing each other out on opposite sides of the center. Perfect serendipity.The quilters are far and wide and while some got to see it in person today, others will have to settle for online unveiling, so below each block's creator is identified. The final size is 50 x 51 inches.